This is the powerful prayer for seeking the Divine Mercy, taken from the Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy (1905-1938).
Prayer for Divine Mercy for the World
O greatly Merciful God, Infinite Goodness,
today all mankind calls out from the abyss
of its misery to Your mercy—to Your compassion,
O God; and it is with its mighty voice of misery that it cries out.
Gracious God do not reject the prayer of this earth’s exiles!
O Lord, Goodness beyond our understanding,
Who are acquainted with our misery through and through,
and know that by our own power
we cannot ascend to You,
we implore You; anticipate us with Your Grace
and keep on increasing Your mercy in us,
that we may faithfully do Your holy will
all through our life and at death’s hour.
Let the omnipotence of Your mercy
shield us from the darts of our salvation’s enemies,
that we may with confidence,
as Your children await Your final coming
– that day known to You alone.
And we expect to obtain everything promised us
by Jesus in spite of all our wretchedness.
For Jesus is our Hope:
Through His merciful Heart
as through an open gate we pass through to heaven.
(Diary of St. Faustina 1570)
Prayer to Obtain Graces
through the intercession of Saint Faustina
O Jesus, Who filled Blessed Faustina with profound veneration for Thy boundless Mercy, deign, if it be Thy holy will, to grant me, through her intercession, the grace for which I fervently pray . . .
My sins render me unworthy of Thy Mercy, but be mindful of Saint Faustina’s spirit of sacrifice and self-denial, and reward her virtue by granting the petition which, with childlike trust, I present to Thee through her intercession.
Our Father . . ., Hail Mary . . ., Glory Be . . .,
Blessed Faustina, pray for us.
Promises of the Divine Mercy made to Saint Mary Faustina Kowalska
- “Paint the image according to the pattern you see, with the signature: Jesus, I trust in You. I desire that this image be venerated, first in your chapel, and throughout the world.” (Diary, 47)
- “I promise that the soul that shall venerate this image will not perish.” (Diary, 48)
- “Jesus looked at me and said, Souls perish in spite of My bitter Passion. I am giving them the last hope of salvation; that is the Feast of My Mercy. If they will not adore My mercy, they will perish for all eternity.” (Diary, 965)
- “My image already is in your soul. I desire that there be a Feast of Mercy. I want this image, which you will paint with a brush, to be solemnly blessed on the first Sunday after Easter; that Sunday is to be the Feast of Mercy.” (Diary, 49)
- “I am offering people a vessel with which they are to keep coming for graces to the fountain of mercy. That vessel is this image with the signature: ‘Jesus, I trust in You'” (Diary, 327)
- “I desire that the image be publicly honored.” (Diary, 414)
- “By means of this image, I shall be granting many graces to souls; so let every soul have access to it.” (Diary, 570)