The Holy Rosary, also known as the Dominican Rosary, refers to a form of prayer used in the Catholic Church. The purpose of the Rosary is to help keep in memory certain principal events in the history of our salvation. There are twenty mysteries reflected upon in the Rosary, and these are divided into the five Joyful Mysteries (said on Monday and Saturday), the five Luminous Mysteries (said on Thursday), the five Sorrowful Mysteries (said on Tuesday and Friday), and the five Glorious Mysteries (said on Wednesday and Sunday). As an exception, the Joyful Mysteries are said on Sundays during Christmas, while the Sorrowful Mysteries are said on the Sundays of Lent.
Benefits of saying the Rosary
- It gradually gives us a perfect knowledge of Jesus Christ.
- It purifies our souls, washing away sin.
- It gives us victory over all our enemies.
- It makes it easy for us to practice virtue.
- It sets us on fire with the love of Our Lord.
- It enriches us with graces and merits.
- It supplies us with what is needed to pay all our debts to God and to our fellow men; and finally, it obtains all kinds of graces for us from Almighty God.
For reciting the Holy Rosary, you need to know some general Catholic Prayers.
The Prayers are in order as follows.
- The Sign of the Cross
- The Apostles’ Creed
- The Lord’s Prayer
- The Hail Mary
- Glory be to the Father
- O My Jesus
- Hail Holy Queen
- O God, whose only begotten Son
Also, You need to know the Various Mysteries of the Holy Rosary, that should be announced after every decade.
1) Start with the Sign of the cross
‘In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.’
2) Then Say the Apostles’ Creed
‘I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried; he descended into hell; on the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty; from there he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.’
3) Then Say the Lord’s Prayer
‘Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.’
4) Then say 3 Hail Mary
‘Hail Mary, full of grace! The Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.’
5) Then Say Glory be to the Father and O my Jesus
‘Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.’
‘O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell; lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy. Amen.’
6) Now Announce the First mystery from any of the mysteries. (Here Joyful Mysteries)
Say it as “The first Mystery is ‘The Annunciation of Gabriel to Mary (Luke 1:26-38)'”
7) Say one Lord’s prayer, followed by Ten Hail Mary, Glory be to the Father, and O my Jesus.
Similarly, announce the other mysteries and follow step ‘7’.
8) At the end of the fifth decade say a ‘Hail Holy Queen’
Hail, holy Queen,
Mother of Mercy, Our life,
our sweetness and our hope.
To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve,
To thee do we send up our sighs,
Mourning and weeping in this valley of tears.
Turn then, most gracious Advocate,
thine eyes of mercy toward us, And after this our exile,
show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!
Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God,
That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
9) Then Say ‘O God, whose only begotten Son’
‘O God, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Holy Rosary of Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain, and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ our Lord, Amen’
10) Finally, end the prayer with ‘The Sign of Cross’
On Monday and Saturday, meditate on the “Joyful Mysteries”
On Thursday, meditate on the “Luminous Mysteries”
On Tuesday and Friday, meditate on the “Sorrowful Mysteries”
On Wednesday and Sunday, meditate on the “Glorious Mysteries”
Other People are reading
- 15 promises of Mary to Christians who recite the Rosary
- Prayer for the members of the Rosary Confraternity
- Prayer before and after the Rosary
- Saints Quotes on Holy Rosary